Zach Molitor, 2009.
|Weight class||174 lbs.|
Zach Molitor is a former 174-pound wrestler for Augsburg College. He was the 2011 National Champion. He placed sixth at the 2009 National Championships and third in 2010.
A transfer from North Dakota State University, Molitor wrestled for Cambridge Isanti (Minn.) High School.
High school career
Molitor wrestled for Cambridge Isanti (Minn.) High School, placing at state three times, finishing second twice..
As a senior in 2005, USA Wrestling Magazine named Molitor the 18th-ranked senior nationwide at 160 pounds.
Molitor wrestled for North Dakota State University during the 2005–06 season as the starter at 165 pounds. He compiled a 13–11 record. Competing unattached during the 2006–07, he went 1–2 at 165 pounds, competing at the Bison Open on Nov. 11, 2006.
Molitor compiled a 31–10 record on the season.
Molitor competed for Augsburg at 174 pounds and earned the second seed. Molitor received Augsburg's second first-round bye. In the second round, Molitor pinned seventh-seeded Ross Dankers of Concordia College–Moorhead at 6:30. In the semi-finals, Molitor faced another MIAC opponent, this time third-seeded Grant Eustice of St John's University. Molitor defeated Eustice by a 9-1 major decision. In the final, Molitor defeated top-seeded Troy Carlson of the University of Chicago by fall at 3:45.
Seventh-ranked Molitor competed for Augsburg at 174 pounds and earned the sixth seed. Molitor received a first round bye and faced Sam Engelland (UW Oshkosh) in the second round, whom he defeated 2-1. In the quarter-finals, Molitor defeated third-seeded Kyle Vanderhyde (Olivet), 8-3. Molitor lost to second-seeded Rocky Mantella (Delaware Valley), 6-4. In the wrestleback semi-finals, Molitor was pinned by Bryon Grothus (Coe) at 1:35. In the fifth-place match Molitor fell to Kyle Kehrli (Cornell) by a 4-1 finish, earning his first All-American honors.
Molitor entered the season ranked third at 174 pounds in both the NCWA and the d3wrestle.com Preseason Rankings. At the Auggie-Brute-Adidas Open on November 21, Molitor went 3-1 for second place in the 174-pound gold division. In the first round, Molitor pinned William Penn's Chris Dias at the 1:32 mark of the third period. In the quarterfinals, Molitor pinned David Carter of Northwestern College (Iowa) at the 2:20 mark of the first period. In the semifinals, Molitor defeated unattached wrestler Grant Miller in a 9-5 decison. In the finals match, he lost to Grand Valley's Glenn Rhees, falling 12-9. On November 25, Molitor defeated Division II opponent Carl Serck (Augustana (S.D.)) by a 7-2 decision.
Molitor compiled a 31–4 record on the season.
Molitor won the 174-pound title and compiled a 29–3 record. His final Augsburg career record was 91–17 and his final college record was 110–30.
- ^ Fickel, Dan (October 1, 2004). "Best 2004-05 High School Seniors". Wrestling USA Magazine: p. 51. http://www.wrestlingusa.com/high-school/ewExternalFiles/2004-05%20Best%20Seniors.pdf. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- ^ Steinbauer, Kevin (2003). "MSHSL State Wrestling Tournament 2003 145 AAA". http://tstuff.com/2003/s03w8.htm. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- ^ Steinbauer, Kevin (2004). "MSHSL State Wrestling Tournament 2004 152 AAA". http://tstuff.com/2004/s04w23.htm. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- ^ Steinbauer, Kevin (2005). "MSHSL State Wrestling Tournament 2005 160 AAA". http://tstuff.com/2005/s05w38.htm. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- ^ "2005-06 NDSU Individual Wrestling Results". North Dakota State University Athletics. February 20, 2006. http://www.gobison.com/sports/2006/2/21/89924157.aspx?id=4603. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- ^ "2006-07 NDSU Individual Wrestling Results". North Dakota State University Athletics. March 15, 2007. http://www.gobison.com/sports/2007/3/19/222659409.aspx?id=4779. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- ^ "National Wrestling Coaches Association Division III Brute - Adidas Individual Ranking October 21, 2009" (in English). National Wrestling Coaches Association. October 29, 2009. Archived from the original on October 30, 2009. http://www.webcitation.org/5kuzjCQCZ. Retrieved October 30, 2009.
- ^ Vogel, Andy (October 19, 2009). "d3wrestle.com Preseason Rankings" (in English). Rankings. d3wrestle.com. Archived from the original on October 21, 2009. http://www.webcitation.org/5kgP3YsiS. Retrieved October 21, 2009.
- ^ "Auggie Brute Adidas Open Augsburg College 11/21/09". Wrestling. November 21, 2009. http://athletics.augsburg.edu/custompages/statistics/wrestling/2009-10/112109auggieopen.htm. Retrieved November 25, 2009.
- ^ "Auggies score 21-12 win over Vikings". Wrestling (Augsburg Athletics). November 25, 2009. Archived from the original on November 27, 2009. http://www.webcitation.org/5lbl3hzpz. Retrieved November 27, 2009.
- ^ Stats from NDSU website.
- ^ Competed unattached.
- ^ Five wins still missing from this table.